In addition to having a similar nutritional value to fresh and canned alternatives, frozen vegetables and fruit provide other great benefits. They:
- last longer.
- are in-season 365 days a year.
- can be stored in the comfort of your freezer. Learn more about preparing frozen veggies and fruit.
- offer variety. Many frozen vegetables and fruit come filled with a variety of colorful and tasty options.
- were once fresh produce. Most products are frozen soon after harvest to retain taste and nutritional value. Learn more about preventing freezer burn.
- come ready to use! Most frozen vegetables and fruit are pre-cut and pre-washed.
Choose frozen veggies and fruit prepared with little or no added salt, sugar or syrup and avoid frozen vegetables with breading and sauces. Check the ingredient list. Here are some examples of what to avoid: corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, glucose, malt syrup, invert sugar and cream-based sauce ingredients.